Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Where do I begin?

I could begin by telling the story of how my camera (a beautiful panasonic lumix) fell out of my bag on a random bus my first night in Tokyo and then magically appeared at the door of my hotel room the very next morning. OR I could begin with the tale of what appeared to be some sort of jet-lag or food-poison induced illness being fully cured by the powers of a mystical Japanese man.

I guess I'll begin by saying that this Country, without a single shred of doubt, is full of magic and mystery. I know that may sound a teeny bit Disney (come on, they're producing our tour!) but I truly feel this way. The bowing, the reverence, the smiles, the joy.... they have a secret... a key... and I will find it! The Buddha will show me the way!

Okay, so maybe I already know some of their secrets. Altruism. It's feel good medicine. Buddhism in general is about being healthy, present, and alive. Human dignity is first priority. Being part of the human race is a high honor here. Though I stand out, and am certainly different, I feel more welcome and honored here in Tokyo than I have EVER felt in New York City. Even the act of bowing forces you to be present in your body. It's so much easier to wave or shake hands.

How funny it is to me that all my life I've only been taking a bow on stage. Here, you bow for your life. It's high time I realize I have something important to bow for every second, every minute, every hour, and every day. My life. My breath. It's all a gift.

Japan is going to change my life.

1 comment: