Sunday, October 10, 2010

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

After an amazing opening in Chofu City complete with a dazzling bouquet of flowers from my parents and a young woman literally sobbing in the front row during our bows, we are on our way. We took a bullet train to Nagoya yesterday morning, had two shows there... and took a bullet back to Tokyo (Shinjuku) where we have been since we arrived. It was raining yesterday and we were so busy, I had little time to do much more than crash on my futon, get in a cab, rehearse, and perform. We have a lengthy sound-check and rehearsal before EVERY performance, which is new to me, but I actually really like it. I treat rehearsal as though the Tokyo Philharmonic is giving me and my new friends our own private concert.

Anyway, sorry Nagoya. I didn't see much of you. But that's okay. We're flying North to Sapporo on Tuesday... where I will most certainly enjoy a glass of my favorite beer as well as, I'm sure, a tour of the brewery.

The bullet train was kind of cool. We were traveling at around 200mph. I saw some exquisite looking temples and beautiful mountains in the mist. The quote, "faith the size of a mustard seed can move a mountain" popped into my head. I thought I'd like to see those mountains move in the mist. Totally cracked myself up. Dancing mountains in the mist. I AM on a Disney tour. Though I didn't see the big guy, Fujiyama, yet... I know I will on one of our days off. I am very much looking forward to that.

Speaking of Disney, Beauty and the Beast has to be one of the most poignantly touching stories in the archives. I cry every single time I sing the title song. Not only because of the angelic sound of a Philharmonic Orchestra (come on!) supporting me, but simply, the transformational power of true love. We are love, but this world with it's hardships can harden us in ways we don't even realize. We give this life the power to turn us into either one, Beauty or the Beast. No matter how ugly we think or anyone else thinks we can get, the beauty, the love... is within us all... just waiting to be shown the truth. Metaphors within metaphors. What a story.

Tomorrow we will play Ichikawa city. We will travel from the hotel by bus. It looks like it should take an hour to get there. I look forward to every performance, especially after seeing how deeply moved these people are by what we do. What makes it even more special for me, is the humility of the realization that I am only a small part of this show. Everyone I'm with has a different function, like organs of the same body... all integral but all unique, including the musicians, the producers, our incredible conductor, the managers, even every member of the audience. Unlike a theatrical experience where there is a fourth wall, we get to look people in the eye. We become one. It's the string theory. I witness it in motion.

After our show today, we did a "fan greeting" for maybe 20 people out of the 2,500 people in the audience. Some of them were in tears or shaking... just to have a picture taken with us. I couldn't help but feel that my soul was valued in some profound way. Somehow our expression of spirit is something they value enough to cry over. To fuss about. Where? When did I stop thinking of myself as that? How could I not look at them and see a mirror. They are me and I am them. The miracle of humanity. In valuing me, they also value themselves... and vice-versa. I embrace the people of Japan with open arms. In doing so, I am certain I will learn once again, to embrace myself.

2 comments:

  1. These blogs are amazing!! I can HEAR your voice when I read it.

    Ever proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you. And I loved hearing your voice on the phone yesterday, exploding with love and joy...

    Besides the fact that you being there has allowed you to have the coolest blog name ever... I adore the fact that those people and that place are mirroring back all the miracles and beauty of you.

    I keep wanting to say that "it's happening," but as of today I have realized, it's happened.

    With crazy gratitude for who you are,

    Biz*

    ReplyDelete