Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Sapporo in Sapporo

Could there be anything better? I cracked open an ice cold can immediately after witnessing a breathtakingly golden view of the sun setting in the mountains from behind the curtains in my darling hotel room. What. A. View.

Landing in Sapporo truly gave me the feeling I have been looking for since I got here. A foreign Country. Finally. Tokyo seemed like a giant New York City to me and though I LOVED it, I had been aching to get out of the city. Flying over the Sea of Japan and into the mountains completely satisfied that itch. Not to mention the butter ramen/miso we so delightfully enjoyed in a hole in the wall noodle shop.

A group of us went out to the Sapporo Bier Garden where they were playing German music from the 50's. Odd, but equally beautiful. There was so. much. meat. Lamb. Too much lamb. And just as much beer. Fun times. Too much fun, for some of us.

One highlight of Sapporo was a little old man on a bike who somehow found several of us in different places throughout the city. He kept saying "hello" and staring and waving at us as he passed by. Waiting for us to say hello back. I had an image of myself as an old lady, riding a bike down the streets of some U.S. city saying "Ohayo Gozaimasu!" to any Japanese people I passed by. Not quite as charming. Not quite.

We are now on our second bus of the day, heading into Sendai after a short flight from Sapporo. They welcomed the company of Disney on Classic on the plane over the PA. Very sweet.

Something interesting about Japan. They love their 7 elevens. I mentioned to one of the girls, Jen, that it makes me feel right at home. She then added, "Yeah, only you're not worried about getting shot." Sad, but true.

Japan is very safe. Mothers and Fathers leave their babies in cribs in the bathrooms while they go in the stall. Amazing. Also, they are very quiet people. I feel like a fog horn when I laugh... EVERYONE looks at me. Embarassing.

We are about to get to the hotel so that's it for now. Much more to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment